iPhone hard reset

Posted by on Jul 5, 2011 | 13 Comments

The iPhone is a built in tool which rectifies the majority of problems that occur on apple hand held devices.  The iPhone Hard Reset restores the default settings on your iPhone, iPad or iPod without removing your stored programs, applications or data and in some ways is a very similar process to restarting a PC after it crashes.  The iPhone Hard Reset is built into the iPhone OS software and as such is compatible with the iPhone 4, iPhone 3G and other older models.  The iPhone hard reset also works on most other portable apple devices including the iPad, iPad 2 and all versions of the iPod Touch.

Problems rectified using the iPhone Hard Reset

The iPhone hard reset can be used to turn on an iPhone, iPad or iPod that has been turned off and will not power up using the usual method of pressing the wake/sleep or home button.  If your apple device locks up or becomes unresponsive, the iPhone hard reset will power down the device safely, allowing it to be turned on normally.  Over time the iPhone like most devices, will lose performance, one example of this is that emails may take an extremely long time to open even if they are text only without attachments.  Performing the iPhone hard reset allows emails to be opened quickly, just like they did when the iPhone was brand new.

If you are having any problems with the screen acting like it is constantly being touched then give it a wipe with a lint-free cloth and complete the iPhone hard reset, this should return your apple device to normal operation.  As part of general maintenance I would recommend carrying out an iPhone hard reset every couple of weeks.

Directions for carrying out the iPhone Hard ResetiPhone Hrd Reset iPhone hard reset

• Press the two physical buttons sleep/wake and the home button on the iPhone, holding them for approximately 10-20 seconds.
  • After holding both buttons for approximately 5 seconds, the slide to power off button appears.  Ignore this and continue to hold the buttons for a few more seconds, the screen will then go blank.
  • Continue to hold until the apple logo appears.  This may take longer on older devices (up to 30 seconds).
  • The iPhone hard reset will now take place.

Thanks for reading about the iPhone hard reset for more tips check out the how to videos section or read other post from the Wright Computing Blog.

Thanks for reading

Signature 300x140 iPhone hard reset

Paul Wright

Please leave a comment about how the iPhone hard reset has helped you!

12 comments

1. Dan Negura
    November 15, 2012

Isnt that the same as normal reboot? (With the red slider)

• Wright Computing
      November 17, 2012

No this clears everything out and will make you iphone, ipod or ipad run better. I would recommend doing it once per month.

2. Mayy
    August 11, 2012

just found this and pleased to bookmark for future reference… Thanks

3. Kurtis from birthday invitations templates
    July 20, 2012

Good day! Do you know if they make any plugins to safeguard against hackers?
    I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve worked hard on. Any suggestions?

• Wright Computing
      November 17, 2012

That is a tough one, any plugin would also be possible to hack, the only way to be confident about not losing data is to have at least two independent backups. If you have a Mac you can sync your phone with iCloud, sugarsync or similar. You could also create a blog to store your data if it is not confidential if you use the free .blogspot you could also monetize it.

4. Amy from How to get an iPhone 5 for free
    July 10, 2012

Argh! That was where I was going wrong, when the slider appeared I was turning it off, and therefore not doing the full reset. I’m so glad I found this and didn’t have to ask my boyfriend, he already think’s I’m stupid as it is!

5. randka w uk
    August 30, 2011

I like this website so much, saved to bookmarks .

6. Uiredesign from iPhone App design
    August 30, 2011

You really provided me very useful information.Its great to have things which makes your life more easier.

7. Ruthann Masterton
    July 14, 2011

This is a really great blog. Thx to the auther

• Wright Computing
      July 24, 2011

No Problem, I hope this post helped you out

8. Ian
    September 1, 2012

Great advice .. However I have intermittent problem where home button stops working. I then use accessibility option for “soft” home button and eventually (after days) home button starts to work !?

Is there any way to hard reset without home button ? (it doesn’t work by holding “soft” home button )

9. Wright Computing
    October 28, 2012

In this case I would try to power off using the power button only and see if the soft button works when you power it back on. Then do the full hard reset.

1 Trackback